Frequently Asked Questions - I-94
I-94 aka Arrival Departure Record is what governs your status in the USA. An expired I-94 can lead to bar from entering USA for 3 to 10 years.See details on "Unlawful Presence".
- Locating I-94 Online
- Information on Printing I-94
- I-94 Corrections
- Unlawful Presence
- H-4 extension for spouse and child
- I-94 Extension Time
- Have valid L-1 Visa, but I-94 expires
- L2 EAD Renewal based on I -94
- Nufield Memo-Are you deportable even if in valid AOS/I-485 pending?
- Options to Stay in the USA After Expiration of H-1B
- I-94 expired -- Unlawful Presence
- Status Expiring During the Pendency of an H-1B extension
- Unlawful Presence for Minors
- Impact of Unlawful Presence
- H-1B and Green Card Transfer From a Non-Profit Organization to For-Profit
- Can I Get H-4 Visa Stamping While the H-1 to H-4 Change of Status is Still Pending?
- H-1B or Other Status Denied - What is my Status?
- H-1B Visa Stamping in Canada or Mexico; Importance of I-94
- Does H-4 Require a Prior USCIS Approval for Visa Stamping?
- I-94 Given for a Shorter Duration at the Airport than the Petition Approval Date
- Protection of Section 245(k) for Employment-Based I-485
- 60 Days Grace Period for H-1B
- H-1B title "Programmers" and USCIS site visits
- H-1 I-94 given at the airport for a duration shorter than the H-1 approval, how to extend I-94?
- Changing employers after 6 years of H-1 are over
- Carry Immigration Documents Every Day
- I-94 Given for Duration Shorter than Entitled
- Gap in Status
- H-1B Laid Off Issues
- Correcting dates on I-94
- Travel while H-1 extension pending – change in I-94 number
- I-94 Admission Record
If you tried to retrieve your I-94 from the cbp.gov online system and you receive a response that your I-94 is "Not Found", please read the following questions to help you check for mistakes and try to enter the information again:
1. Did you enter your first and last name the same way it appears on your passport? Please do not use dashes or titles.
2. Did you enter the passport number that appears on the upper right hand side of your passport?
U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that, if an I-94 has an error, any POE can correct. If I-94 expiration date is based on the limitation of the travel document (i.e. passport expiration date), then this is not an error that will be corrected.
U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) indicates that the mere fact that there is no I-94 does not determine whether or not an individual overstays. Moreover, an individual who is admitted as a B, but does not receive an I-94 either on the southern or northern border is in a legally materially different status than an individual who is admitted as duration of status.
She must have a separate I-94.
It can take a few months. You can apply for premium processing even when the case is filed and pending.
That example does not make any sense. It appears to be more a clarification of a concept - NOT practice. Do NOT worry. You are fine. If someone has not already done so, I will write USCIS next week after reviewing the entire 51 page memo carefully. Do NOT lose sleep over this.
1. The answer is No. There is no advantage in going through for-profit or non-profit that's just irrelevant.
1. You can get your visa stamped in any country which is called Third Country National (TCN) processing. It is a good idea to check with them beforehand. Sometimes if they have too much of a workload, especially in Mexico they might temporarily stop taking TCN's.
You must carry the I-94 printout at all times. A photo ID is also important. The evidence of status COULD be in the forms of copies, I think. It is not required, but I recommend you do carry it.
For more on this issue watch this video.
See clip from Attorney Rajiv S. Khanna's conference call video that addresses this question.
If you get laid off on H-1B there is no grace period. You get laid off today tomorrow you are out of status.
The I-94 admission record is created electronically and maintained in CBP systems. CBP will verify the I-94 electronically to re-validate an expired visa if the traveler meets the conditions of automatic revalidation. In order to demonstrate eligibility for automatic revalidation, a traveler may be required to present a copy of the website printout to the air or sea carrier prior to boarding. If entry occurred prior to automation, a paper form must be presented in order to comply with validation requirements.